Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pasta Meatball Soup: Adapted by Carey

My Aunt Carey shared this recipe with me when I was newly married. If ever there were a perfect remedy for a rainy day, this hardy soup is IT. I made it 2 weeks ago and am already craving it again. Thought I'd quickly share:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb. ground beef
  • 1/2 lb. sweet Italian sausage (Carey uses part hot Italian, too.)
  • 2 T. Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs
  • 1 T. grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 t. each of salt + pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/2 c. thinly sliced carrots
  • 1 t. Italian seasoning
  • 3 c. chicken broth
  • 1 16 oz. can Italian seasoned tomatoes, undrained, cut up. (I always use Del Monte tomatoes, Basil, Garlic & Oregano. It really compliments this soup well!)
  • 1/2 c. uncooked rotini pasta
  • 1 small zucchini, sliced
  • grated Parm cheese, for garnish
Directions:
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, Italian sausage, bread crumbs, 1 T grated Parmesan, s + p, & egg. Mix well. Form into 3/4" meatballs. Heat 1 T. oil in deep pot over medium heat. Cook meatballs, onions, and garlic till meatballs brown, turning frequently. Drain. Add remaining ingredients except pasta., zucchini and extra grated Parmesan. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes. Add pasta and cook 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook 5 more minutes. (Check doneness of pasta & cook longer if needed.) Serve w/ Parmesan cheese.



**Notes:
  • Since you normally by ground beef by the pound, Carey suggested going ahead and doubling the meatball mixture. Freeze the extra for spaghetti or lasagna. Great idea. =)
  • I always wind up pouring more chicken broth in the soup, and adding more of the ingredients (like the carrots). You'll want to make enough for lunch the next day, for sure!


1 comment: