The topic of this blog post has been in the back of my mind since this past Fall. As I very quickly discovered, the topic of schooling can be a very touchy topic for a lot of moms! We have strong opinions on the best form of schooling, because we want to believe we're giving our children what is best for them. Mother knows best, right?! I’ve been encouraged, and I’ve been hurt as we sought out what the best option for our girlie was. As we enrolled Sky into a Frederick County Public school for kindergarten this past year, comments made to me by several other mamas had me personally questioning last minute if the decision Jonathan and I were about to make for our almost-five-year-old was really the best decision.
We followed where we felt the Lord was leading and placed her into the Primary School anyway. I am so very thankful we did. Oh, I’m so thankful. It’s been such a blessing to our family in more ways than one. She has amazed me with all that she’s been able to learn and retain this year! But not just that, it’s allowed me to reach out to our community and get involved with volunteering. As Sky’s parents, it has allowed Jonathan and I to form convictions about what we feel is and isn’t appropriate for her to be learning in school, and what we feel she really should be learning from mommy and daddy first. We’ve been able to witness and appreciate firsthand all that teachers do to educate our children out of love and genuine care. Not to mention, I’ve had such a blast with Grayson during the day and am so thankful for the one-on-one time I’ve had with him!
Now, we’re about to embark on a new adventure for first grade: Homeschooling! And while I’m excited/nervous/giddy and all into planning our many adventures to be had in first grade, I look back with gratefulness for this experience we’ve had at our local public school.
I just wanted to write this all out because, I felt so discouraged at first. I questioned if what God was calling us to was *really* from Him, or if it was just me not wanting to school Sky. I suddenly felt confused and sad and frustrated at a time when I really should have been released to enter into the joy of what was about to take place!
I feel like I’m not the only mama who’s felt discouraged by others at the outset with the decision to choose public school. Relationships can truly benefit from an adjustment in the way we as Christian mamas view each other and graciously respond to each other when talking about schooling! Instead of viewing public schooling or homeschooling or private schooling as THE biblical approach, maybe we should be viewing them as A biblical approach. God’s word tells us that He’s given us everything we need for life and godliness, but HOW he has us do this differs with each family. He’s given us freedom. He’s given us many resources. And I’m really saying this to myself also as I write this: let’s not place such spiritual value on our methods for schooling, and rejoice in the fact that there are so many methods God can use.
We are so beyond excited about this coming year. I can already feel God stretching me and growing me in ways that I’ve wanted to grow in for a while. In areas like patience, gentleness, and extending grace to my kids. I’m excited about the time I’ll get to have with my Sweetie Girl during the day, and I’m excited that I get to be the one to teach her! I’m also looking forward to spending more time with my own homeschooling mama and my youngest sister. Sky is looking forward to doing vocab on the couch with me instead of sitting Indian Style on the floor (our girl is just not very flexible ;)), and says that she can’t wait to spend recess with her little brother and is really looking forward to meeting new friends through a co-op.
As we look back on this past year in awe of all that the Lord has done for Sky through the primary school, we are so thankful that we did what we thought was best for our girl at that time. We’re looking to this next year with the same, great anticipation that God can and will sustain us as we seek to glorify Him once again.

No comments:
Post a Comment