Saturday, June 18, 2011

For Those Grieving on Father's Day

Loosing a father has been one of the most stressful things I've ever encountered in this lifetime. Father's Days were spend sobbing in my room, asking God "why" and praying that He would be there to comfort me and my family.

 The sharp sting of his decision to leave our family has dissipated over time, and I am thankful the Lord provided a loving step dad for me and my siblings who loves us like his own. But every year when Father's Day rolls around, I can't help but think of others who are currently going through the grief that I went through when I was younger. I know first hand that Father's Day can be an emotional day for those that are "fatherless".

Oh, praise the Lord for His word which is there to comfort us! I grew up clinging to this scripture in Psalm 68:4-5 which says,

"Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
lift up a song to him who rides through the deserts;
his name is the Lord;
exult before him!
Father of the fatherless and protector of widows
is God in his holy habitation."



Jason Kovacs wrote an article on adoption on the Desiring God website, and I found this promise encouraging: "...It is no side note that God is a 'Father to the fatherless' (Psalm 68:5). He has made adoption the apex of the Gospel. His spiritual enemies are now his very sons and daughters through the Cross.

He has adopted us as His sons and daughters through Jesus' finished work on the cross. I am so thankful that we can know HIM as our father. As our daddy. As our husband. God can be exactly the comfort that we need when we are grieving. God, the creator of the ends of the earth, the one who put the stars in their place and makes the earth orbit around the sun, can also be the comfort that you're missing!

 If you're not grieving this Father's Day, and you think about it, could you please pray for those who are fatherless, or without a husband? Pray that they will spend the day resting in their heavenly Father's love for them. Pray that God will continue to provide everything that they need. Pray that God will reveal his sweet, tender love to them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment