Friday, February 11, 2011

Exhausted and Elated

Can't believe I'm just now getting around to posting pictures of our newest addition. ...Actually, I take that back. Life has been jam packed with busyness since Grayson has been born. I've forgotten how time-consuming having a newborn is! Do you ever get through an entire day that is so completely busy, and at the end of your day you look back to reflect on all you've accomplished, only to realize that NOTHING around your house has gotten done? I wish I had thought ahead to take pictures of how disgusting my house looks right now. You would laugh. ...I laugh. Because this tiny little baby boy is growing up SO quickly. His adorable dimpled smile with sweet baby blues, and my sweet and curious curly-haired big brown-eyed girl, take up ALL my time.

There's a poem that used to hang in my nursery when I was a baby, that I've nearly memorized just from reading it so much when I was younger. It's called "Song for a Fifth Child" by Ruth Hullburt Hamilton. It sums up this blissfully sweet and emotionally draining season that I'm in:


Mother, oh mother, come shake out your cloth!
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking!

Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
(Pat- a- cake, darling and peek, peekaboo).
The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
And out in the yard and there’s a hullabaloo
But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look!  Aren’t her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo).

Oh, cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
But children grow up, as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down, cobwebs.  Dust go to sleep.
I’m rocking my baby.  Babies don’t keep.
 These pics were taken by Tali Kauflin. Click here to visit her blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment