Ohhh the terrific two's. ;) We've been seeing a lot of these terrific two's lately! You know... the screaming, throwing herself on the floor all-out temper tantrum, out of the blue, terrific two's!
I know I should have expected it but. I guess I secretly was hoping it would pass over Sky and we all just could skip that little stage. I thought that maybe if I did an exceptional job in parenting and focused on positive reinforcement that Sky wouldn't have to go through the terrible-- i mean terrific-- two's.
But alas, it has come, yucky bad attitudes and confused, bewildered mommy, and all. I feel like God's trying to teach me a thing or two about myself, and Himself, as much as He's trying to teach me about Sky. And this week, I've learned a lot!
I've been reading a book by J.C. Ryles, called "Duties of Parents". While I don't agree with all of his statements, there are such HELPFUL reminders in this book to help me keep my focus on Biblical Truth as we're raising Sky. Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old, he will not depart from it." Ryles reminds me that God has "never laid a command on a man which He would not give man grace to perform." So, day by day, we take each tantrum at a time, knowing that God's grace is sufficient for me to respond lovingly and kindly to her. Ryles writes, "We depend, in a vast measure, on those who bring us up. We get from them a color, a taste, a bias which clings to us more or less all our lives." What a huge responsibility then that we have as parents, to train them up in the way they should go! I feel more challenged than ever to make my convictions my own. To read His word, believe His word, and to know WHY I believe. And in doing my part by being a faithful child of God and teaching Sky to do the same, I can safely leave the rest to the Lord, knowing that He'll care for her the rest of the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment